Wednesday, September 10, 2008
In a recent blog post highlighting our Webmaster Help Group, I asked for your webmaster-related questions. In our second installment of Popular Picks, we hoped to discover which issues webmasters wanted to learn more about, and then respond with some better documentation on those topics. It looks like it was a success, so please get clicking:
- Image Search ranking: Starting things off, JimAtArtsnovaDotCom asked about how Google indexes images. Evan details the factors that account for a site's images appearing in Google's image search.
- Sitelinks and Webmaster Tools: Maile tackled Red Cardinal's request by providing a more detailed explanation of sitelinks, particularly what happens when they are blocked by a user.
- Reconsideration Requests: Want to learn more about reconsideration requests? In response to Chibcha's message, Susan provides additional context on when you should file a reconsideration request and other tips to address your site's performance.
- Redirects: In response to Cristina's question about site moves and redirects, John explains how Googlebot handles absolute and relative URLs in your redirect to a new domain.
- Communication with webmasters: Finally, I responded to bluegill01's message, noting the scenarios when you can expect to receive a message from Google.